Friday, May 17, 2013

Day 5 Complete

Tonight's post will be a bit short as it's late and time for bed. We will be up at 7:30 tomorrow and will begin our final half day at 8:00. Our goal is to have the boat ready to go when Mark gets here which means working thru  an extensive checklist of things to do before getting under way.

This morning, I had to navigate our 47 foot cat out of our slip backwards in order to pivot in a tiny canal so that we could get pointed out into the channel. Oh, and I wasn't allowed to hit the boat next to us, either!  

That's the other boat on the left. It's actually a nice sized monohull but next to us it looks like our dinghy.

Naturally, there was an audience aboard the monohull this morning and they all gathered and watched with great anticipation to see how this was thing was going to go down. There were probably 5 or 6 folks watching me do this  so no pressure!  

It's a powerful feeling when you can conquer your fears.  Before this week began, there was no freaking way I would have gotten behind the wheel of this beast to embark on such a futile mission of ineptitude.  But, today I calmly and beautifully left the canal (backwards) and the monohull behind me as the folks aboard it applauded us and said they were envious of the big cat's turning radius. It's hard to describe the feeling but suffice it to say I am feeling good about it!!!

Incidentally, we each took tests today and passed so now there is just one more to take tomorrow and we'll have our certification to charter a boat anywhere in the world by ourselves (called bareboating - I'd hoped bareboating meant something else)!  Of course, we will be looking for some folks to go with so let us know!

So, I have told you guys about Beth's many brushes, er, impacts with the $&@&$$&!! Bimini, right? Today it only happened twice so we are considering that progress.  She's probably concussed so she doesn't know anything different - she thinks that's progress, too.  But, what about the bane of my existence on board? What do I dislike about the trip????

Glad you asked!  I have a blister on my hand and it is pretty sore. But, it's not from the sails, the lines, the halyards or any of that. Nope! Instead, it's from this:


See the handle on the right? To pump water in the bowl, you use the handle up and down numerous times. To pump the deposits, you use the handle, again, numerous times.  And, when I sit on the toilet it at 6'1, 215 my backside pretty much engulfs the little thing and my left leg ends up landing squarely on, you guessed it, the handle. Beth hates the little booger, too, because when you pee in the middle of the night the last thing you want is a workout from pumping that handle up and down!  Ugh. Where is the dislike button....?

I will post a ton of pics tomorrow that I downloaded from my camera as hopefully we will have wifi at the hotel. But, tonight I will leave you with the thoughts of seeing dolphins when you wake up and dolphins when you come in to the harbor at the end if the day. And, in between, it's even better!  

Last pic for today - here is a pretty genoa sail we hoisted during some downwind sailing today....









1 comment: